Sunday, July 19, 2009

THE NEW & IMPROVED DECK BAR.....




We've had this bar for 2 years now and it's stayed on the deck for both summer seasons without a problem. Two weeks ago at 6AM I heard a crash - looked out and the wind had lifted the yellow umbrella up and brought it down on the bigger of the two glass pieces. When I tell you it shattered - it really shattered and splintered - glass everywhere. All I could do at that point was to fold up the umbrella and let it all lay there cause it rained for 3 days. It took me several hours to clean it all up when the sun finally came out - what a project. Tom and I decided to start shopping for a new table - while we were willing to spend as much as it took to get something we wanted we couldn't find anything we were wild about. So, Tom put his brain into gear and came home and built a new top for it. He actually used the shelves that were taken out of the entryway project - sanded and stained and varnished (7 coats) it, drilled a hole for the umbrella and voila.....our new and improved bar! I'm thinking for the next party this summer we may actually use it as a bar!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that bar is great, Karen! I just hope the weather stays nice so you have a chance to use it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave it to Tom...he is so good at projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Tommy! Can you come built me one I have leftover wood! Nice photo of you too...So you think my grandson is a cutie Karen? I think so too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's adorable and reminds me of Kevin when he was that age - so cute you just want to keep kissing and hugging him!!

    ReplyDelete