Saturday, August 29, 2009

Stormy Weather

There's nothing like a good storm......the one we're getting as Daniel passes by isn't much so far but it's enough to keep me inside baking in preparation for the Labor Day Party. Only things like the decoration cookies that can go in the freezer and here's a HINT: sugar cookie with a stick, covered with white chocolate with lettering (I'll keep the words a secret for now). My plan is to place them in baskets of mums....and for my favorite boy, Tom, his favorite cookie - peanut butter!

Back to the storm....I love to clean, bake and listen to Country Music while the rain comes down but our favorite thing to do is to stand outside under the porch roof and watch it all come down. Anticipating more wind than maybe what they planned Tom and I took down the tents and umbrellas last night - working together it only took 30 minutes. My other thought on this storm because it's happening so close to Labor Day is that it's washing out and away "stuff" that doesn't matter anymore. Tom and I cleaned out files of papers last week and burned a lot from the past that don't matter anymore - it's amazing how that cleansed the mind and sole.

One of the first songs I learned to play on the piano was "When you walk thru a storm hold your head up high" - and then when I started piano lessons my teacher gave me the lesson book of songs from Carousel and there that song was again. Tom and I watched Carousel a while back. I love this song - it still holds thru - whenever you reach a "STORM" in your life continue to hold your head up high. On that note here's a quote my friend Clair posted this morning on facebook...

Anger at lies lasts forever. Anger at truth can't last. Greg Evans

2 comments:

  1. I love your new header, Karen...I am itching to do some fall decorating...I don't know how much longer I will be able to wait. I also love nothing more than to bake on a rainy day. Unfortunately, we don't get many rainy days out here, this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new heading also Karen... We all will enjoy a much needed Labor Day Party...sure has been quite the year...time to renew and enjoy what we all have and not what we don't and for the friends we have, and how they are there for us...and they never let us down...
    Take care...
    Susie

    ReplyDelete